Sunday, May 7, 2017

It's Generational











If you were there, you know what a great experience it was. If you weren't, I'm sorry. There's no way we can really explain it to you. It was great. Team 5-1, including the parents who wouldn't appear in the photo with the rest of us, put together 1,680 weekend backpack bags for kids in the greater Indianapolis area who otherwise would go hungry.

I loved watching the teamwork. I loved being able to talk to Mrs. Strines, Dr. Brink, Mrs. Swallow, Mrs. Keen, and Mr. and Mrs. Smiler. I also loved the fact that twelve of my students (plus Sophia Brink--who still counts as one of my kids--and Anna Strines) came out to volunteer yesterday morning. I know everyone has busy lives, but the fact that half of my students were able to come does much for my heart. Thank you to Noah Swallow, Char, Marissa, Noah Smiler, Charlie Mock, Rohan, Henry, Will Keen, Drew, Bill Strines, Brooke, and Ella, along with the volunteer workers at Gleaners Food Bank of Indianapolis.

What a perfect way to top off Teacher Appreciation Week. It was wonderful to watch my students and get to experience being their peer as a fellow volunteer. Thank you all. The world is a little bit better of a place now because of you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ella, Sophia and Chad said that they really loved helping and had a good time. I wish I could have been there. I cannot believe that this year is almost over! Makes me happy and sad.

Jeff said...

It was a great time! I had another teacher come up to me today and asked if she and her class could be a part of our next trip. Can't believe we're here at the end again!