Friday, September 11, 2015

Look For the Helpers

Today between the reading comprehension test and visiting with our First Grade Buddies, we had a discussion and watched a short film about the 9/11 attacks all those years ago. I told the kids how I was a first year teacher at the time, and just how scary that day was at the time.

Every year, when I retell the kids the parts of that day that I remember--the fact that there was nothing in the sky that evening, watching the second tower getting hit--I remember how frightening it really was. I leave out the scarier images that I'm sure we all remember from that day.

I quoted Mister Fred Rogers from his statement that came out later that week, when he addressed the public on talking about scary things to children:

My mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother's words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers-so many caring people in this world.
I'm sure many of you were there that next Friday night at Carmel High School football stadium, where we all held candles. It was so quiet. It is a strange thing to think back on, but I think we would all agree with the old adage, "Never forget."

No comments: