Monday, September 29, 2014

De-Emphasizing the Question In Order To Answer It

Just a warning that I may not have time at the end of the day to do a post. I have to meet with Mr. Hunter to hopefully get some of my technology issues figured out. Right now the kids are doing their silent reading, though, so I'm going to take advantage and get it finished.

Already this morning I have been really pleased with how well the kids took to learning about dependent clauses. This was a little tricky for them early on in the school year, but today they really seemed to understand that a dependent clause is one that cannot stand on its own.

zB: Since it was raining, we could not go to the pool.

In this sentence, Since it was raining cannot stand on its own. You could say we could not go to the pool to someone, and it would make total sense. It is a complete sentence.

I'm excited about this (yeah, I know I'm pretty easy to impress), and I think by the end of the week I may even be able to teach the kids how to use a semicolon properly. (Then it's party central for Mr. C!)

The kids have had time to do their spelling definitions, but I will ask them to finish their flashcards for homework tonight. They are also asked to read for 20 minutes and do their Study Link for Math.

Happy Monday!

No comments: