Sunday, October 30, 2016

Old Friends In Town


I am so thankful for old friends.

Scott and Sara Brosman are mentors of mine from back when I worked at Camp Tecumseh many moons ago. I don't know how it is they haven't aged a day while I definitely have, but it may be because they are just incredible people.

They came into Area 51 on Friday as our guest readers. I knew they would both pull out all the stops to entertain the students as they have all the showmanship you would expect from "camp people". I've seen Scott do endless campfires, performed alongside him, and still he was always one of the people who could make me crack up in the middle of a skit. Plus he's an awesome leader, and he is now the executive director at the camp.

As for Sara, well, she worked at the local library for years, directed school plays--at least during my tenure way back in the horse and buggy days--and is now the executive director of the Delphi Opera House (and was even featured in the Lafayette newspaper on the very day she came to 5-1, credited with reviving the downtown of the old canal town of Delphi).

They did the voices of the characters in the books that they read together, as if they knew how much my students like that. They interacted in an incredibly relaxed manner with my students--as do all of my special guests, as if I ever had need to doubt it. It's just really cool to see.

Plus, they brought their four-year-old granddaughter, Harper, with them, which helped make our day. 

The thing that stinks, which I've realized over the course of this year's trial run of guest readers, is that I don't get to hang out with these people any longer than I do. I guess that gives me an excuse to visit more often. 

Anyone who knows me knows that my time at Camp Tecumseh was incredibly formative for me. It's what made me realize that I was always meant to be a teacher, for one thing. And that's probably the most important part as far as my students are concerned.

One of my kids said, "You know so many cool people."

It's true. These are two prime examples.

No comments: