Sunday, October 23, 2016

Family Ties



First off, I realize that the selfie I took of me and my niece makes me look really sinister. But since my guest reader for Friday, my sister Kim, took a "fifth grade selfie", I told my niece, Paige, that I wanted to do a selfie with her while we sat in the back and listened.

I was really happy when Kim and Paige said they could come on Friday. Kim also works in education--she is the head of the Public Affairs Office at Wabash College. I was lucky that Paige was on fall break on Friday.

Kim read The Day the Crayons Quit and The Day the Crayons Came Home by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers. I had never read either one, but some of the kids seemed to be familiar with them.

Normally, while a guest reader is up there in front of everyone and reading, I'm taking it in and trying to think of what "reading strategy" to use to tie into it so that I can ask the kids questions. This time, I have to admit, I just had fun with my niece on my lap and giggling with her at the little jokes throughout the books. The only way I really know my class was even in the room is this photographic evidence.

Thanks for coming, Kim and Paige! We all loved it.

No comments: