Sunday, September 11, 2016

We Were All Together

Hard to believe it was fifteen years ago.

I just remember it was such a beautiful day outside, and how strange it was to go home, get out of my car, and look up in the sky. You would never have known anything had happened that day. Birds were just singing as usual. They didn't know everything had changed.

I had just moved to Carmel to start my first school year of teaching, so I was staying with a friend's parents at the time. That night, I remember being in the backyard and sitting in a lawn chair talking with them and looking at the stars. There were no planes up there for the first time in decades. We were all just on the ground together.

And while I can't be sure, I'm pretty sure we were all sitting outside that night too, looking at the sky.

No comments: