Sunday, September 18, 2016

Navy Man, Karate Fighter, Guest Reader


A big thank you goes out to my good friend Mr. Jim Ruiz, who came in as last Friday's guest reader.

I have done karate with Mr. Ruiz for years, and I know him well from coaching and doing karate camp together for a long time. I knew he had to be one of my guest-readers this year when I was thinking about people I know are good with kids and would be great for the task. I wasn't disappointed, and neither were the kids. Although they would have liked to see me and Jim fight, we both agreed that this could have been pretty dangerous--for us!

Normally, when we have a guest-reader, I just expect to do most of the heavy lifting on discussing the book. This was not an issue on Friday. He read the book Seven Blind Mice by Ed Young, and he pulled a lot out of it and the kids responded really well. I couldn't have been more pleased with how well it went.

Thanks so much for coming in and making our Friday extra-special, Mr. Ruiz!

No comments: