Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Cosmic Jumble

Here is an article that was sent to me this evening. As a person with dyslexia, people often send me articles and book titles about the subject, but this one is really pretty well told. In fact, it calls to mind conversations I've had with other people who are dyslexic--someone who actually understands it.

This is not meant as a guilt trip to everyone, but as I was telling the class the other day (and as I've told friends many times), there is nothing more frustrating than when someone, upon hearing that you're dyslexic, says, "Oh, I know what that's like! I mix up letters all the time!" Nope! You do not understand what it's like.

I post this only to let parents of kids I have, have had, and also the parents of the kids that I tutor that this gives maybe the best idea of what it's like, and that they have hope and a future ahead of them.

I leave you now with my favorite quote regarding dyslexia (and ADHD) in any book I've ever read:

"The letters float off the page when you read, right? That's because your mind is hard-wired for the ancient Greek," explains a fellow camper, gray-eyed Annabeth. "And the ADHD--you're impulsive, can't sit still in the classroom. That's your battlefield reflexes. In a real fight, they'd keep you alive. As for the attention problems, that's because you see too much, Percy, not too little. Your senses are better than a regular mortal's...Face it. You're a half-blood."
--Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief

No comments: