Friday, April 29, 2016

Rhinoceros

Evacuations, the sound of shattered dishes, clothespin beak experiments, foreign policy and agriculture, and first graders doing the splits made this one interesting day. This was a crazy day for so many reasons, but thankfully, it was a good one throughout.

Our day started with the bus evacuation drill. I tried to get some shots of that, but the morning sun was pretty darn bright. It looked pretty much like the last one, to be honest.

Next, we had the honor of being visited by Craig and Reed Anderson, who filmed the class singing our Friday song. I was really happy that they did a great job of singing it today, and I can't wait to see what kind of video production they come up with this year. This has become a tradition over the last couple years, back when Reed was just a fifth grader in my class. Luke tells me that plans to keep the tradition next year by coming back with them to film next year's class. As long as they can do it, they will always be more than welcome in Area 51.

I was particularly disaster-prone throughout the day. I'm not going to say that such disasters are usually beneath me, but normally they don't come with the frequency that they did today. I knocked a large ceramic mug off of my file cabinet which broke and scattered pencils everywhere--luckily I didn't have kids working next to the doorway. I was cleaning out a cabinet while the kids worked on their "Bills On Birds" experiment, when a whole shelf came down onto me. Once again, this was behind my desk, so thank goodness no kids were around, and the only casualty was my foot. I had realized that the cabinet needed a good pruning while I was looking for a set of rulers for said experiment. Then, I spilled a bunch of pencils later on in the day. I told the kids that it was probably best just to keep outside of a six foot radius of space around me for the rest of the day. They didn't, but what are you going to do?

As a part of our animal adaptations unit for Science, the kids did the "Bills On Birds" experiment, which I thought was pretty cool, but they seemed to find a little bit frustrating.

They also worked on some sweet posters of different parts of the presidential cabinet with their partners. I thought these were really fun, and I always love this project.

Next week we will have to continue with everything full-tilt. We will be back to a Spelling schedule, we will have a Science test, and we will even have a few new things thrown in there.

Until then!

No comments: