Sunday, August 23, 2015

An Entirely New Procedure




On Friday, we started another 5-1 tradition of teaming up with Mrs. Haberfield's first graders for Math Buddies. This is my homeroom, but her Math class. Here they are playing addition top-it. This is one of my favorite things to watch, and one of Mrs. Haberfield's too.

Here are the major things you need to know for this week:
  1. I handed out the kids' bookmarks on Friday. These are to be signed by parents (initials are good) each time your child reads for 20 minutes. I ask that this happen at least five times a week. These are due back to me next Friday. This is a weekly thing--next week, they'll get another one. They are always due on Friday!
  2. We will have spelling as normal this week. This is no change from last week other than that the process is probably still new for your kids. Luckily it won't change throughout this school year. 
  3. Even though we will not have our first states and capitals test until next Friday, I gave the kids two weeks to study for this for a reason. There are twelve states and capitals to learn! I want them to study this, even for just a few minutes every night. While you're driving them to practice, make sure and ask them states in the Midwest. We will study some in class as well, but that won't pull the kids through by itself. 
I hope everybody has had a great weekend--I look forward to seeing all those bright smiling faces tomorrow morning. 

No comments: