Tuesday, January 17, 2012

To Your Health

Hey there, folks! After this afternoon's Wellness Committee Team meeting, I have a couple of new-ish announcements to make about upcoming events, and stay tuned for a special plea at the end.

The first event is the Family Fitness Night. This will take place on Friday, February 17th. I just realized that I don't have the times on that one, but it's an evening event as you may guess from the name. This has been in the works for awhile, but as it looks from the previous meeting's minutes, I wasn't there, so my apologies. Anyway, we are planning to have ten to fifteen fitness stations set up in the gym. Mr. Z, Nurse Barb, Mrs. Jackson, and I will all be there, as will parent coordinators Lori Baldwin (technically a 5-1 parent, seeing as how Alex is in my Math class...) and Jackie Krueger (former 5-1 parent) are also helping to head this up, and it should be pretty awesome. They were asking me today about having a karate station, so I'll be looking into that soon. But for now, plan on coming to Woodbrook that night and plan on working up a sweat.

That's February. Then on the afternoon of Sunday, April 29th, we will be having the Annual Woodbrook Wellness Fair. This event is different from the Family Fitness Night. This is more of a fair with stations set up with different health and wellness businesses there to answer questions and show off what they've got. Also, we will have the big obstacle course set up in the gym, where you'll be able to test your heart rate. There will be the Amazing Race once again this year, which is always a lot of fun (okay, so I'm told...admittedly I've never done it yet). Finally, the Woodbrook Blood Drive will take place during the Wellness Fair, so it would be awesome if you could come out and give blood that day if possible.

Here's the plea: If you would be interested in heading up (or co-heading up) Team Woodbrook for the Relay for Life on June 2, 2012, please let me know! I am relinquishing this duty this year, and I'm trying to find someone to head this up for Woodbrook. I will be there for part of it, but won't be heading up a team. Nurse Barb has volunteered to co-chair the team, but doesn't want to do it on her own. I'm not going to lie--it's a pretty big undertaking, but the Relay for Life Committee is great about helping you all throughout the process. And having done it for years, I am always free to answer e-mails and questions. This is a 24-hour event. Fundraising would be involved as would team meetings with the Relay for Life Committee. In fact, they're already underway, but it's never too late to join up. Remember: This is for the American Cancer Society. Who hasn't been affected by cancer? Woodbrook has lost many family members to this dreaded disease, and personally, I have a grandfather who lost his life to cancer, a mom who is a two-time survivor, and just lost a cousin to breast cancer on Sunday. I'm just over-committed this year, so I can't do it like I used to, but I am planning to participate. If you are at all interested, please let me know via e-mail. And if you can't head it up, please consider joining either Team Woodbrook or any other Relay for Life team.

And there's to your health, Woodbrook.

No comments: