Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Red Light Green Light

Here are some guidelines I gave the kids about online research for their papers: I gave them the green light to use any website that ends with .org, .edu, or .gov; I gave them a yellow caution light on websites ending in .com (I told them to use the discretion of teachers and parents before trusting the information), and I told them a great big red flashing "don't go here" sign for Wikipedia, Ask.com, and About.com. I'm sure there are more I could add to that list, but I'm going to throw those into the yellow category--sometimes they're okay, but not always.

They will begin doing the research tomorrow in the computer lab. A few of the kids came to me today and wanted to change their topics for their papers. I was actually relieved in all of those cases, because the topics they changed to are much more interesting. I told them that they are going to dedicate a substantial part of the next twelve weeks to this topic, and I want them to want to learn more about it.

2 comments:

Griffin Gonzalez The coolest kid ever said...

I loved this project I spent 4 hour in the carmel public library working on it but it was fun.

Jeff said...

Ha! I'm glad you enjoyed it AND I'm glad you got some quality time with the library as a bonus.