Sunday, November 27, 2011

Three Two One Go

I've spent quite a bit of time in the school over the past few days getting things ready for the rest of the school year. I have cleaned out, simplified, and made some serious alterations to the everyday workings of the classroom. I'm going to expect quite a bit out of your children, bottom line. I had a similar epiphany about five years ago, when I made this entry regarding my class at the time. Read that and you'll get the gist. I decided that I was going to wait until Miss Mellinger left so that I wasn't putting a bunch of changes on her. She did a good job of getting the kids started, and now I'm going to take what she did and run with it.

We're still going to be doing all of the literacy in the ways we're supposed to be doing it. We will still be following the Common Core Standards. It's just that we have precious little time left when you get down to it. That's one of the things I'm going to be sharing with the students tomorrow. I'm planning to lay out the amount of time remaining as well as all of the things we need to get crammed into that time. It's going to feel good to get back in the saddle, I have to admit.

I'm going to start some new daily rituals tomorrow, I'm going to start reading them a new book, and show them the way things are going to be for the rest of their fifth grade year. It's going to be a great ride!

No comments: