Monday, January 7, 2008

All Along the Watchtower

Just wanted to drop a line and let everyone know that we started a new status quo today. I've been really convicted by my own conscience lately about how much I can expect out of the kids. This isn't to say that I'm going to start giving the kids a lot more homework, but I know most of them can put more care into what they're doing, read two books in addition to whatever else we're reading in class, and journaling and writing every day, we're going to read or listen to a poem every day and discuss or analyze it. We're going to further build their vocabularies with Word of the Day--every day. We're going to have geography quizzes so that the kids know where the United States is on a world map.

I've told them that "I don't get it" is no longer an okay thing to say in my class. "Could you please explain that again/further?" sounds a lot more like something that says they're willing to learn. I told them that I'm going to hold them to higher standards. They're all worth it--every single one of them.

In fifth grade, there is so precious little time spent in class, especially during the second semester. We have to squeeze everything we can get out of the small windows of time we're given. I'm done with filler. Of course, we'll still do drawing lessons and stuff like that occasionally, but it's got to be occasionally. I like to have fun in class, and I do--we do, but still, the kids' education is the most important thing. I'm going to teach them.

The next thing I want to stress to them is that I pray for them individually every single night. I realize I run a risk saying that as a teacher in a public school, but I do. I'm not getting overly-religious here, it's just true. My point is that I have the kids' best interests at heart. I pray that I would be a better teacher. I know I've made mistakes before and even made poor decisions in my past, but I strive every day not to do it again. I'm not going to ask anything out of them that they can't do. I want their very best. I'm going to have to give them my very best in order to get this, and I'm willing to.

I may suddenly lose my spine and delete this post, but I sure hope not. It's no wonder More and More Children Are Getting Left Behind when we can't push them. I promise to push them harder than they want to be pushed. I promise not to push them any harder than they can be pushed and still give us all results. I promise you they'll love me for it, if not now, then one day.

If any of you guys have any questions, please e-mail me.

"Let us not talk falsely now. The hour is getting late."
--Bob Dylan, All Along the Watchtower

8 comments:

Rob S. said...

Great post, Jeff. Good luck in every bit of it.

As someone absolutely non-religious, I've got no problem with you saying that you pray for them. There's a difference, i think, between praying for religious conversion -- an absolute no-no to say, I imagine -- and praying for their success as students and people. I hope no one overreacts -- but I think you'll present yourself well and, of course, sincerely.

Jason said...

Great post. It sounds like you're doing a great job. These kids are lucky to have you at their teacher. Keep up the good work.

Jannx said...

A very enjoyable and interesting blog entry. I wish you the best of luck on your recent endeavors. I hope you have a supportive network in place. Sometimes the most interesting and beautiful spider's web is undo from a lack of a consistant, and firm support structure. I'll just leave it at that. I hope everything works in your favor. What you said made a lot of sense.

carmelmom said...

Your blog brings tears to my eyes. I now have a sixth grader who is struggling in every subject. I think it is wonderful that you are so compassionate about what you do. Your kids are so lucky to have you. I hope you have great success this semester with your kids. carmelmom

Anonymous said...

You are awesome to realize and take action with this goal in mind. I think we all need to pray a little more for every single child in our society, it's a tough one out there.
Keep up the terrific work you are doing. You're one of the best.

Anonymous said...

That's great Mr. C.! It's awesome that you are doing this for your students. I agree with that guy. These kids are really lucky. I really enjoyed being in your class, and I hope they do as much as I did.

Poem of the day is cool, for those of Mr. C.'s present class that read this blog. He always gets cool ones. Ask him to read you "Soda Crackers".

"You soda crackers... I remember when we first came here..."

Jinxo56 said...

Jeff, the world needs more teachers like you. My hat is off to you and keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

My girls were lucky enough to have had you as a teacher at Woodbrook. I recently was told by a mom about your resolutions with your kids. I want to especially applaud the use in your classroom of editing/using correct grammar and punctuation in writings every day. That was one of the most helpful things you did with my kids. Keep up the good work!!