Monday, September 19, 2011

Whiteboard Jungle

The kids have been working harder and harder during their Daily 5 for the most part. Daily 5 is an educational program that dictates that each child will each day: 1. Read to him/herself 2. Read to someone else 3. Write 4. Do word work, and 5. Listen to reading. This has sometimes been called "Stations" or "Centers" in the past.

I will give a mini-lesson at the start, turn everyone loose, and then call everyone back for another mini-lesson, then turn everyone loose again. It's amazing how well it really does work, especially with helpers like Mrs. Appelsies, Mrs. Sommers, and Mrs. Johnson in the room.

The students have also been making strides in their behavior during their specials classes, especially. I've been really happy that the class has lately received Paws or even more than one instance of Double Paws. Paws are the Woodbrook Lions' incentive program. And today, I started my own incentive program. I'll talk more about that tomorrow. But for now, let's just be happy with the fact that your kids are helping me prove to the other teachers what I've known about this class since I got them--they're really good kids.

No comments: