Thursday, September 22, 2011

I'm Getting a Reading

I'm not going to lie: In this reading program, we learn about some odd things mixed in with science and history. Today, as you won't be surprised to hear, we read about different kinds of ovens and how they cook food. We learned about solar ovens, mud ovens, and--once again--microwave ovens.

Part of tonight's homework is to write a short (three to four sentence) response to an interview written in their Reading Sourcebook. This is an assessment, and thus a grade will be taken on it. Make sure your child reads the story carefully before answering. This is the kind of assessment which, in the future, will be done at school. For this first one, however, I wanted to send it home to be done, so that you can see what is expected. When we do these at school, I will read the story out loud with them before they answer the question, and then eventually, in the spring, I plan to ween them off of that as well.

Speaking of reading, I also want to remind you that students should be reading for at least twenty minutes. And after reading, every once in awhile, ask your child to point out at least one word that has a long vowel sound, or one sentence that is compound, or one interrogative sentence. They should be able to do all of those things--I could give you a whole long list!

Hope everyone has a great Thursday evening!

4 comments:

sophia said...

This morning I went to student venture it was awsome!
it turnes out that it its a bible study. they read a passage from the bible and then explane them.You also get donuts and juice. all of it is free. any way .... we should go bowling with the class . although I'm not shure i want to do it with old people

Jeff said...

Sophia: So glad you're getting involved over at Clay. Student Venture sounds really cool. I know a lot of my former students have been involved in that organization.

I think bowling is always more fun when the elderly are involved.

Brooke Ackerman said...

Hey yea all is going well in middle school but I still like woodbrooke better.

Jeff said...

Hello, Brooke! Hope all is well at middle school--I'll bet it's really fun. We miss you at Woodbrook--tell Bethanie and your folks I said hello.