Thursday, September 15, 2011

Looking Back and Then Across

I had a chance today to look at what the kids have been doing in Social Studies. As Miss Mellinger has been teaching this subject for the past few weeks, it's been kind of interesting to look at my own class from a little bit of an outside perspective. But I like what I saw going on. The lesson took them to the past to look at the different Native American tribes that lived in different parts of North America. I like that the assignment asks them to take what they've learned in the text and has them put this information in both word and picture form in their white pages (the name I have given their workbooks). It's more than rote memorization and copying, it's really asking them to understand what they've read, by having them write down and draw a product and then tell what materials were used to make it.

I've given this same lesson twice before, but it's interesting to be looking at it from a different angle. It's like I'm watching anxiously to see how this other teacher is teaching "my kids". I'm relieved to let you know that I like what I see.

Tomorrow is the Spelling test, but that is just about all as far as tests go, unless your child happens to have a Math test. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

No comments: