Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Why We Journal, Even at Camp

I read through the kids' camp journals this evening. To be honest, this is the first time in all our years of going that I'd given them anything but a quick once-over. I loved the responses, and they only enforced what I already knew about this trip. Here are some of the responses to the questions...

"We need to be more open-minded and not judge people."

"People I didn't even know before would catch me and not let me fall...We became friends."

"We could be nice to everyone and treat them properly."

"I felt a little bit scared that we weren't going to be able to complete the task. We as a group worked together."

"The whole group cheered the climbers on..."

"The difference came when people really listened to each other instead of just hearing the voices..."

"You really should get to know the person and be nice to them, because when you're trying to communicate, the labels get in the way."

"Thinking very hard, teamwork, a good leader, and confidence. It really is all you need."

"The most challenging part really was watching the people climbing struggle. I could help them achieve their goal."

"When we actually thought about it and figure it out and communicate; not just blabber and shout."

"We had success! It was building a fire! I felt great!"

"People need encouragement."

"All the parts of the foundations for success. Communication was used between the spotter and the climber told where to put the hand or foot. Trust was used in the same way. The climber had to have self-confidence to succeed. The spotter needs leadership to tell the climber where to put their hand or foot. You need problem solving to do this."

"I need encouragement for football and homework."

"You could not judge people. You could get to know them."

"Teams live longer."

"I felt like I was invincible."

"We need to treat each other more nicely."

"I learned how to trust others."

"We really couldn't survive without each other. Everyone needs each other, and we shouldn't argue."*

*This last one literally brought tears to my eyes. But not really, because as was said in class today, a sensei doesn't cry.

These are all actual quotes from their camp journals. Okay, I cleaned up a few grammatical things and capitalization and spelling errors, but I'm willing to forgive that. It was really cold out and they were writing with numb hands. I thought they were pretty profound!

They will be bringing their journals home today. Look through them. I think you'll be impressed.

1 comment:

Mongoose & Rayn said...

Hey Mr. Carter's Class! Mongoose & Rayn here. It was so cool to read through your journals and see how much you got out of your time here at camp. It's very exciting to see that you are using the five foundations outside of camp as well. We hope you continue to use trust, communication, problem solving, self-confidence, and leadership both at school and home. Remember all of the activities we did and how important those foundations are in everyday life. We hope you are all doing well, and hopfully school is great! Have a great rest of the year, and we hope to see all of you back at camp in the future!

-Mongoose & Rayn