Friday, November 12, 2010

Veterans Day





All day yesterday, I received the best feedback on the Veteran's Day program. Here's an e-mail we got from Mrs. Davis:
I can’t let this day go by without expressing my gratitude for all staff and students involved in putting together today’s Veteran’s Day program. It was touching and moving and a great life learning opportunity for our boys and girls.

How fortunate we were to have so many of your relatives and friends in attendance who are veterans and to have our honored guest Col. Lt. Spencer.

How fortunate we are for the talent of our fellow staff-Jeff, Lindsey, Jay and Dave.

The fifth grade students and choir were so well prepared and respectful of their particular roles.

What a wonderful tribute.

I personally want to thank Colonel Lieutenant Spencer for his wonderful presentation to the entirety of our school and all of our guests. It was an honor to not only have him there, but to have so many veterans present. We had guests from Vietnam, the Gulf War, Afghanistan, World War II, Iraq, the Korean War, and I'm sure more. Those were just the guys I had the honor with which to shake hands.

Also, I want to thank Mr. Jay Vahle, Mr. Dave Slipher, Mrs. Rose Khalili, Mr. Brian Davis, Mrs. Davis, and Mrs. Lindsey Ratner for all they did to make the program happen. Jay and Dave for singing in prelude and postlude to the show. Mrs. Davis, Mr. Davis (no relation!), and Rose for setting the whole gym up before I even got in yesterday morning. Rose had sent me an e-mail Wednesday that I didn't get until late that night, asking me how I wanted it set up. As I ran in to apologize the next morning, I found the gym all set up already--much more nicely that I could have imagined.

The Woodbrook Choir did such a fantastic job of singing (under the direction of Mrs. Ratner, along with Kate Adaniya and Ian and Lily Wallack). Those with speaking parts: C.J. Patterson, Griffin Gonzalez, Rachel Block, Ethan Schipp, Josh Wilson, Blake Smith, Mona Goggins, Jacob Jackson, Sophia Gripp, Jacob Holt, Jacob Conn, Annie Spangler, Andrew Chen, Gary Spencer, Tess Nihill, Ally Langston, and Stefan Buba. All of the people who held flags in front of the school the whole time and the student council for being ushers: Bethanie Ackerman, Brooke Ackerman, Drew Klotz, Nick Schipp, Jacob Alford, Julia Armbruster, Ellie Burdick, Natalie Gutierrez, Emerson Halbleib, Natalie Jackson, Jason Jaffe, Brynn Kellermeyer, Emily Klotz, Kylie Kuchik, Bailey Painter, Tyler Poulson, Courtney Swingewood, Samantha Swingewood, Madison Van Horn, Nicole Wimer, and Elise Winn. Brock Moore, who was originally slated to have a line, but didn't get it in time before he broke his arm and was out all week until yesterday...who ended up acting as an usher. It was pretty handy that his arm is stuck in an "up" position that he could be an usher!

I hope everyone fulfilled Colonel Lieutenant Spencer's assignment, to find a veteran and thank him or her for their service to our country.

As Mrs. Apolzon e-mailed me yesterday, "Best program ever!" I'm being sincere when I tell you that my contribution to this program was pretty minimal. Thanks again to everyone involved!

No comments: