Sunday, October 29, 2017

Structure for Spontaneity

Okay, everybody! We are in for a busy week.

In Science, we are doing a couple more experiments with the human body operations unit. These have to do with how our eyes connect to our brain, similar to the ruler-catching experiment from last week. We only have two days to do this, though, because on Wednesday, we have to start in with our BizTown unit!

With BizTown, even though the field trip is not until December 8, we have to get started this week. The real lesson plans call for six weeks, which we have whittled down to a month. We have to start early because we lose a few days to Thanksgiving. It's all going to be here before we know it. In fact, the BizTown interviews are set to take place on Thursday, November 8. Don't worry, I plan to have your kids all ready to go by then--which means they and I all have a lot of work to do before then.

In writing this week, we are going to start our historical/research writing unit. We are going to be writing about the Wild West. There are a whole bunch of topics to choose from. I am salivating waiting to get this one started. It ties language arts into one of my favorite things--history.

Speaking of history, we are still plugging our way through the Roanoke: The Lost Colony book by Lee Miller one chapter at a time. We got through 1-4 this past week, and I'm looking forward to getting through 5-8 this week (out of ten). I'm hoping to show the kids that, while something is given a few paragraphs in our Social Studies book (TCI--no idea what it stands for, honestly), that is just the tip of the iceberg to what really happened in history. So far, through the exit slips, it seems that most of them have been listening while I'm reading these chapters.

In grammar, I have been teaching the kids about possessives--singular possessives, plural possessives, and then this week, we are going to be learning about possessive pronouns. While I enjoy this stuff, I get that the kids find it a little bit tedious.

We will have a Spelling test and a States and Capitals quiz this week, by the way.

Oh, and in Math this week, we are starting a new chapter, chapter three, all about decimal operations and percentages. It is my goal to finish this chapter by Thanksgiving. That will leave us four weeks before winter break to complete chapter four.

One last aside, I will not be at school from 2:00-2:35 tomorrow, but I will have plenty for the kids to finish up with whoever is providing my coverage.








No comments: