Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Alex

Happy Birthday, Alex!

True story: Today, I took the kids out to the bus. That's when I remembered I needed to get his picture for the blog. After he walked off, I told another teacher that it was for the blog because it's his birthday. She said, "I love that kid." That started a gush-fest between the two of us about what a great kid Alex is.

Alex is one of those kids I had last year for Math already, along with some others. I was so happy that I got him in my homeroom this year. Not that he was immature last year, but he has matured so much in the last 52 weeks. He is one of those kids I can always depend on. If I want something done correctly (and who can read my mind and knows the unspoken parts), Alex is my man.

You should watch him work with the Life Skills kids. Seriously, he has the patience, heart, and empathy of a saint. The teachers of those students are always coming to me and asking if I can clone him. The specials teachers would like to clone him as well. Okay, I would like to clone him too.

As I told his mom earlier today, I looked at him yesterday and saw his dad. He is growing up not only in maturity, but physically as well. At the beginning of the year, it was hard for me not to think of Alex as the kid who--in Math, last year--always had his knees up in his shirt and would raise his hand through the neck-hole of it. Now, I look and see a kid who is more than the typical kid. He's grown into something really awesome.

I hope you had a happy birthday, Alex! You absolutely deserve it.

2 comments:

Karen Bailey said...

Thank you so much for writing these words. Not much more a parent could want to hear!
Your dedication to these kids is amazing! Thank you for going above and beyond for Alex. You are so appreciated by our entire family!!
Thank you!!

Scott Bailey said...

Mr Carter, thank you so much for your kind words about Alex. My sons have been blessed to have you as a part of their lives. I hope that as you look back on your career, and as continue to have a positive impact on your students in the future, you realize how much you support and care for these children means to them and their parents. Karen and I understand that from the moment that Alex arrives at school each morning until the time he gets off the bus in the afternoon, he is cared for, not just academically but emotionally and socially as well. Thank you for what you do and know that you are appreciated. Also know that the kids and parents lucky enough to have you as a teacher value the effort you put into the very important role you carry as a teacher.