Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Yeah It's Time to Rock This Show

What a great first day! Hopefully everyone got their note that has the blog address on it. If not, I'll make sure it's up on the board at Meet the Teacher Night next Tuesday.

We're going to have a fantastic and rewarding year. When I think about the adventures and learning and activities we have yet to go through, it's pretty exciting. I hope your kids came home today with smiles on their faces and tons of stories.

The one bit of homework the kids do have is to bring in a book for tomorrow that they can read silently. We will start off slowly with the reading silently, and gradually build up to greater spans of time as the school year goes on.

Today, I told the kids that it is urgent that they become better readers and writers--no matter how good they are already, there is always room for improvement. I showed them the books I read this summer, and showed them one I couldn't finish because it didn't interest me, so I just found a cut-off place and decided not to finish it. But for that one I didn't finish, I have about seven or eight that I did.

Tomorrow we will get into our Math and Social Studies as well as our Reading. Spelling won't begin until next week. I can't wait to get them excited for Social Studies. American history is of high interest to me.

Miss Mellinger--our student teacher--and I really had a good time with the kids today. I was relieved to find out that she has such a great rapport with them. She was able to connect with them on a different level than I do, and I think it's going to round things out nicely. Luckily she's here until the end of November!

It's funny how every single class has a different personality. I look forward to getting to know this one better and better as the year goes on.

Let's roll with what is going to be another good year at Woodbrook.

No comments: