Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fantastic Start Part 2

Wow! As good as the first day was, the second day felt about ten times better somehow. I think it's probably just the kids getting more and more used to the routine and everything. We did quite a bit today--learned how to do DOLs (more on that on Meet the Teacher Night next Wednesday), about history (in Reading and Social Studies both), writing in their daily journals, and choosing good books for their personal reading.

Right now I'm reading to them from one of my favorite read-aloud books, I Was a Rat. Most of my classes enjoy this book, but this class seems to love this book. I'm glad they're liking it as much as I do.

We also started our new Math classes today, so that was pretty cool too. We did the scavenger hunt/inventory today, but tomorrow we'll be moving on to bigger things.

I realize the homework is pretty sparse right now (because I'm sure you're really complaining about that one...), but don't worry; tomorrow they will begin getting actual homework. Next week we will also be starting in on Spelling, and there are nightly assignments for that as well.

Also, I told the kids that I would hand out the schedules for Specials, lunch menus, journal turn-in days, and the daily schedules tomorrow. We've been doing a bit of tweaking here at the beginning, but we're getting settled in now. I also sent home volunteer forms, student information verification sheets, and if your child didn't bring them home yesterday (they were in the mailboxes!), the typical first day packets. Starting soon, I'm going to have the kids do some guest-writing on this blog.

Here's to a fantastic day two. Just shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions.

No comments: