Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dr. Haldejian Will Have You in Jail in Two Minutes Flat

Tomorrow we are having our "big" States and Capitals test over four states. We also have the Spelling Test. We didn't take any time to study the spelling words during class this week. And what's more is that the kids informed me that I mistakenly have only eleven words instead of twelve on this spelling list! Grrr! Their win, I guess.

The kids have been putting more and more research into their state projects, and next week they will be giving group speeches over their states. These speeches are next Wednesday. I think the kiddos are going to have a good time with these.

For my Math class, we are going to be having a test next Tuesday. I gave them a study guide for this test today. I think they're going to do fine--this first chapter is fairly simple, but it's really easy for the students to make a simple mistake which can make a big impact on their grades. I need for them to make sure to take their time on this test, because I'm a little bit worried that they will get careless.

Next Monday we'll start a little bit of short testing for the kids' Rigby Reads levels. This is nothing for which you can study; it's just to let me know how we'll be grouping the kids for the reading groups at the beginning.

Some of the kids shared two-minute mysteries that they wrote themselves today. They ranged from really good to really funny ("The Case of the Dead People"?)

Also on Monday, we will have our first visit from Mr. Dean Shriver, a high school student who will be doing his exploratory classes here at Woodbrook in my classroom. I'm really looking forward to this, because Mr. Shriver is also a Sensei where I teach karate. I think the kids will really like him, and I can't wait to bring him in here and show off my class to him.

2 comments:

Tori said...

Hey Mr.C, I miss your class so much!!! So does everyone else!!! Middle school just isn't right without you and Dr. Haldejian!! I also surprisingly miss Caesars English!!!!! Hope you have a great year with your new class, I know you can't have as much fun with them as you did with us, but at least try!
Best Wishes,
~Tori~

Jeff said...

Ha! Thanks for writing and checking in, Tori! I hope you guys can at least find SOME glimmer of hope over there at the junior high...haha. Tell everyone I miss my Blue Crew!