Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Letters to a Young Mathematician

Well, today marked a few losses in life. The mother of a colleague died. Michael Fleisher died. And Stephen Hawking died.

Of course, Stephen Hawking is the most well-known of the deceased. The world's most famous astrophysicist dying isn't something that happens every day. The victim of a motor-neuron disease since 1963, he has lived a full life and continued to be one of the thinkers most responsible for a whole bunch of theories that I cannot even pretend to comprehend.

Rest in peace, Dr. Hawking.

You probably have never ever heard of Michael Fleisher, but he was a comic book artist. This hit me today, especially for his cover to a comic book (which way-predates me, for the record) of The Spectre.

I had thought of this very cover recently because I kind of wished someone with the power of the Spectre on this cover would have been around when the guy was shooting the kids in Florida and the police officer in Lebanon. I know it's dorky, but it was kind of ironic that he died so soon after those events.

Today was Pi Day. We worked on pi-related problems in math. I was happy that the kids seemed to cooperate for the most part while I had a sub for a meeting over at Clay. All in all, it was a pretty solid day.

Other than people dying. That part stinks.

No comments: