Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Our Neighborhood

As a teacher who, only within the past year--has taught students who are Korean, African-American, Italian, Jewish, Christian, Caucasian, Puerto Rican, Chinese, Indian, Irish, German, Muslim, Russian, Serbian, from single-parent families, from gay married families, and from traditionally-married families*--teaches all kinds of kids from all kinds of backgrounds, I loved seeing this sign tonight. This also includes students who were adopted, are step-kids, and who have both biological parents in their lives still. We had all kinds, and we will continue to do so in Area 51.

It was right across the street from the library in downtown Indy where I took my last-minute CPR class so that I could teach for the next five years. After it was over, I was taken by the urge to just walk around the neighborhood for awhile.

I found myself hoping that this "neighbor" thing extended all the way up into the north side of Hamilton County, because I felt pretty great about the possibility of being a part of this little community.

*This is from the 2016-2017 year alone...I could go on and on given all my years...

No comments: