Thursday, August 31, 2017

Great Minds; Positive Impact


This morning we heard a very good message from a presenter known as Grandma Rose. Grandma Rose teaches kids how to deal with bullies the best way, if you ask me. She teaches that it's all up to you. You can either do extremely little to react, as if the insult or person is not significant. You can agree with them ("Yes, I am bald.") You can just distract them (thereby ignoring them) or laugh with them (they hate that). You can also just stay away from them if that's what works best in your situation. She likens the bullies to people who are fishing. You don't have to bite the hook, because once you do, they are in control. It's way better when you just swim free.

I talked to the kids about how it often takes people a long time to figure this out, and many people never do. Yet, once you can learn to ignore, smile, or just give them an incredulous look and shake them off.



Then, we came back to the room and we learned about George Washington Carver, who, in my opinion, is the smartest man ever to have lived. I did this as a part of our Seven Habits series, because of how he lived his life. I showed the video above in class. I told the kids that the fact that he was able to save the farming community in Alabama, which had come to plant copious amounts of peanuts and sweet potatoes. He did this by simply coming up with hundreds of inventions using those two ingredients. I told the kids that if they'd had too many carrots and too much cabbage down there to sell, he would have simply come up with many inventions using those.

I love this because it shows that there is just so much untapped potential out there still. Hopefully one day your kids might be the inventors who develop those ideas.

We reviewed our spelling meanings and our states and capitals, and now they are out at recess (and I do not have duty, so here I am).

This afternoon we will have the remainder of our NWEA testing time at the very end of the day.

Have a great Thursday evening. 

No comments: