Saturday, March 4, 2017

March Forth!

It was a great way to end our Friday by having a "guest reader" who didn't actually do any reading, as it turned out. I gave Mr. Nick Shaffer, a senior at Carmel High School, the choice whether to talk to the kids or to read a book, but he ended up just answering questions (and, inadvertently, a few stories) from the kids.

Nick is one of those kids with whom I've actually never really lost touch. In the years between, kids like him have been fewer and further between, but Nick holds strong as one of a few that have remained in contact. It's crazy that he's getting ready to graduate.

He is a member of the high school golf team, and probably best of all, he is the co-founder of a group called Champions Together, which is an organization that mainlines students with intellectual disabilities with students in the mainline classrooms through competitive sports.

The first thing Nick said to me after the kids were dismissed at the end of the day way, "I'd love to come back." I told him that we will take him any time, but that I will put him to work. Luckily, he's the kind of guy that I more than trust, and I know can help the kids out in any way they need.

Thanks for being awesome, Nick. Be warned that I will take you up on your offer!

No comments: