Sunday, June 26, 2016

They Say It's Divine


Oh, Pete.

This weekend he was inducted into the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame. It's been called long overdue. While I think he's done his time for his crimes, I think the wait was probably just long enough.

I try to teach my students that they have to own the choices that they have made, including the bad ones. And when they have owned said choices, they need to face them and correct them. Just because you usually never really deserve to be forgiven, it's almost always best to forgive.

Friday evening, in the booth, Marty Brennaman told Rose, "This has been a long time coming."

Pete Rose said, "Yeah, I messed that up, didn't I?"

Earlier that night, Pete was welcomed back to the fold on the field by his 1976 Big Red Machine teammates, including Johnny Bench, Tony Perez, and Ken Griffey, Sr., among others. I think that was just about right.

Take your rightful spot, you big, glorious dummy. At least Cincinnati fans still love ya, and yes, forgive you.

No comments: