Friday, November 7, 2014

Patriot

I want to apologize for the lack of post last night. I was pretty exhausted when I got home from teaching karate last night, and I didn't last long at that point.

When I woke up this morning, the following thoughts of panic went through went through my head:
  • Don't forget to have Mr. Evanson meet with the people who didn't do well on yesterday's exit slip in Math. 
  • 11:15-11:45, the gym is open then, and you have a very small window to get down there to practice the Veterans' Day Program.
  • Shoot, you never did ask the kids' teachers from your Math class if you could have them from 11:15-11:45. Remember to ask them before the kids come in this morning.
  • Spelling test. You never made the Spelling test. Guess what you're doing during specials?
  • Oh, shoot. We were supposed to make pictures of Mr. Hunter's beard. (Long story.) If we have time, we really need to get that done today. (Spoilers: We didn't.)
  • First Grade Buddies! Oh, no. Wait. Dog crumbs. We're practicing for the Veterans' Day Program during that time. I need to tell Mrs. Haberfield that her first graders are going to be really sad that they don't get to see their Fifth Grade Buddies because Mr. Carter is a forgetful idiot. 
  • Oh, jeez. Mrs. Jackson and Mrs. Stemnock are both gone this afternoon. You will be doing recess duty with two subs. Translation: You have recess duty all by yourself. You have to somehow he the front, middle, and end of the taking-the-kids-in line all by yourself. Somehow, taking the kids out, you have to be both the front of the line as well as the end of the line. (This is where I felt the headache coming on...) 
  • No! Hold on. You're practicing for the Veterans' Day Program from 11:15-11:45. First Grade Buddies are from 11:45-12:15. Whew. One minor problem solved all by itself.
  • Wait...have you checked with Mr. Vahle to see if he's okay with singing America at the end of the Veterans' Day program? (More spoilers: I still haven't.) 
I am really happy to say that we did get almost all of those things done today. (With the minor exception of Mr. Hunter's pudding ring, which we were assigned.)

In the meantime, in the in-between time, ask your kids for me if they know when the possessive form is shown by -'s, and when it's shown by -s'. I didn't have time to give them an exit slip today.

At least next week will be normal.

No, wait.

Next week we have:
  1. The Veterans' Day Program on Tuesday.
  2. Trip to the Palladium on Wednesday.
  3. Interviews for BizTown on Friday. 
That's three days where the kids have to look nice. They were hating on me today for that. Here are my three arguments for countering:
  1. It's the veterans. Come on. Show some respect, children. They fought in gruesome battles and ate and slept in horrible conditions. You can suck it up for one morning (face it, you're going to ask me if you can change back into your basketball shorts and hideously expensive basketball shoes as soon as we go back to the classroom. I think you can make it, "big guy".). 
  2.  It's the Palladium. Not a tractor pull. 
  3. If you dress in shorts (even though it's November) and a t-shirt (even though it's November), and the next person is dressed professionally, guess who's getting the job?
Okay, I'm done. It was a big day. Your kids did well and so did I.

Next week will be a big week. We will be practicing in the gym for a bit on Monday also. Actually, it's more than a bit. It's quite a lot of practice time. We need it.

It's all going to work out great. It has never not worked out great. I just hate the fact that the kids have so much going on next week once again. And I have to admit, I don't like the fact that they have to look nice three out of five days next week. (Heck, I only have to look nice four out of five days.)

I'll chime back in before the weekend is over. I hope it's a good one for you all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that's exhausting. Thanks for hanging in there, and yes, it will all work out great! Would love to see a picture of the kids in their "professional attire". It's good for them. (this is where I would love to insert a "smiley face"...I know how much you love those.) Have a great weekend!

Jeff said...

I will do my best to pin them down and get a photo in their professional attire. (Or their patriotic attire, or their Palladium attire...maybe all three!) Thanks for hanging in there with me.