Thursday, February 28, 2013

If It Weren't for You Meddling Kids

By the way, everyone, I want to extend my personal apologies for Math this week. During Math class, we've had many people gone for stage crew preparing for tomorrow's first and second grade program. We mostly did review stuff while at the same time trying to give an overview of the current chapter. I have decided against giving them a quiz tomorrow, as I think I said below (?).

Here's the "I feel old" idea from today. While reading a story in our reading books about Kristi Yamaguchi, I told the kids that she was outshone during the 1994 Winter Olympics, where she earned herself a silver medal, by the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan scandal. I told them that 1994 was a weird year for sports because that was the same year the O.J. Simpson thing happened. One kid said, "Who's O.J. Simpson?" I realized that he was far from being the only one who didn't know who O.J. was. I mean, Nick knew, but Nick knows everything regarding history, athletes, and rock music, and O.J. is at least two of those things. I was also impressed by Amaya's knowledge of the "ill-fitting glove" in the courtroom. I realized how absurd it sounded when I told them about the low-speed chase down the highway.

The Simpson case was seven years before these kids were even born.

So this is how my teachers felt when they told us about Kennedy or the Beatles. I remember thinking how ancient that sounded at the time.

No comments: