Monday, May 14, 2012

Pyramids, Superman, and Afghanistan

In honor of Literacy Week at Woodbrook, and for pretty much the remainder of the school year because I want my students to read over the summer, I am posting various reading lists here on Mr. Carter's Dojo, some by myself and some with the help of a few special friends.

For the first list, I want to name some of the titles of books which I've bought for my classroom for next year, and which I want to read before next August. This list consists of a few juvenile books that I want to read over the summer. Of course, my reading list is loftier than just these books, but as far as "kid books", this is what I'm most looking forward to over the eleven weeks we have this summer. Here goes.
  • The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan: I actually bought this one after a reading conference with 5-1's Christian C., when I became enamored by the premise. From the author of the Heroes of Olympus series, this book follows young adventurer Carter Kane as the author explores the Egyptian mythology with the same fervor employed in his exploration of the Greek gods. I'm looking forward to this one in the same way that I looked forward to the Harry Potter books--good characterization woven in with real-life mythology (okay, oxymoron) is a sure-sell with me.
  • It's Superman by Tom DeHaven takes on Superman as he was born in our real world--in the 1930's. It was the late 20's/early 30's when Superman first appeared in Action Comics #1. This book assumes that, instead of constantly updating himself, Superman was born and raised during those days. I'm looking forward to reading this one because this kind of thing fascinates me. The fact that I've heard that it's a great book is my primary reason for wanting to pick this one up. Secondly comes the fact that it's about Superman. It's entirely prose, though--no comic book panels of which to speak. I told you that I urge the kids to read things that are more hardcore than comic books.
  • Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai: This one sounds pretty harrowing. It's about a boy from Afghanistan whose family flees the country and comes to California--just before September 11, 2001. Now they have to deal with not only hostilities over here, but they also are trying to locate his sister who remains in Kabul. Man, I want to crack this one open right now and get started on it.

No comments: