Wednesday, May 30, 2012

No Excuses

"The letters float off the page when you read, right? That's because your mind is hard-wired for the ancient Greek," explains a fellow camper, gray-eyed Annabeth. "And the ADHD--you're impulsive, can't sit still in the classroom. That's your battlefield reflexes. In a real fight, they'd keep you alive. As for the attention problems, that's because you see too much, Percy, not too little. Your senses are better than a regular mortal's...Face it. You're a half-blood."

--Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief
I love this quote. It's so empowering to those who have been labeled. I loved it the first time I read it, and any time I go back and read it again, I love it even more. This is the quote I was telling you about in my post about Proust and the Squid a few weeks ago. It's a great book, and if you're having trouble getting your child to read over the summer, I would highly suggest you read it too. It's by Maryanne Wolf. Fascinating stuff.

No comments: