Monday, April 11, 2011

Let Us Be About Setting High Standards for Living

Hello, true believers! We are hitting the ground running! Hopefully everyone got rested up during spring break (I know I did), because you're going to need your energy keeping up with us for the next six weeks (sniffle). Let's see what we have in store for the upcoming days...

TUESDAY! Tuesday is "Physical Activity Day" as a part of WELLNESS WEEK! For this, I want all of the kids to dress they way they do for their favorite physical activity. Whether it's baseball, basketball, cycling, swimming (appropriate, please...Gary...), Hawaiian dancing, kung fu, or whatever you do to get exercise, wear those clothes! To raise money for the American Cancer Society, we're asking for everyone to bring in their PENNIES. Certain 5-1 kids have been assigned grade levels to collect, and then we will be counting change during Math class later in the day. (Okay, so it's pretty simple counting, but it's Math more than it is English, at least...)

ALSO on Tuesday, make sure to bring in your permission slip for our field trip on Wednesday just down the neighborhood to Forest Dale.


WEDNESDAY! Wednesday we are going to Forest Dale for the field trip to hear speaker Vicki Cobb speak to the kids. She is a nonfiction writer of Science programming. Should be pretty interesting.

That night is Woodbrook Pizza Night at Cool River once again. I'm not serving this time, but it's still a pretty cool thing. If you're hungry and don't feel like cooking, head on over there for some darn good pizza from 5:30-7:30! It helps the WB PTO.

Also that day, we will be having DRESS AS YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER from TV, movies, or books. This is to show that we are all "playing a part in the fight against cancer"! On this day, bring in your NICKELS! We'll have the fifth graders once again go around and collect change from the classes, and the money will go to the American Cancer Society.


THURSDAY! Be a hero! It's super-hero day! Come dressed the part, and clear out your couch cushions of all loose change and bring it all in. We'll be counting it up in a very heroic way and once again, giving it over to the American Cancer Society!


FRIDAY! Friday is Hike Bike to School Day! Ride your bike or walk to school that day. There will be a crossing guard from 7:45-8:10 that morning, as well as from 2:40-3:00 that afternoon. This is to help promote a healthy lifestyle. So stop clogging up the Woodbrook parking lot in the afternoons, let your kid walk for once!

Movie Night is Friday...it's Tangled, which is a movie about a woman with really long hair (is this supposed to be Rapunzel?), a horse with a sword-looking thing, and a man with a frying pan, and they have to save the kingdom or something. Okay, I'm just going by what I notice from looking on the picture right now on the yellow sheet of paper. But I'm sure it's a good movie.


SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!!! From 1pm to 4pm is the Woodbrook Wellness Fair. Come on out for the health screening! The Heart Obstacle Course and climbing wall! The Carmel FD Safety House! Get your car seats checked! (I think that's probably for your babies...not your normal car seats...) Vision Screening! Blood drive! There's also an Adventure Race! Break boards with Adamson's Karate! This has to have the most exclamation marks of any post I've ever done! Here's more!!!


And now for something really exciting, we started algebra today. The kids actually didn't do too badly on it. I was scared, but it went pretty well.


Speaking of wellness, I want to re-post something here that I posted last year. A college professor from Wabash College had e-mailed Mr. Garrison Keillor (Lake Wobegon man, for those who don't know who I'm talking about) and asked him for his definition for "wellness":

Dear Mr. Keillor,
As longtime fan of A Prairie Home Companion and a daily listener to The Writer's Almanac, I find both comfort and encouragement in your fatherly sign-off for the latter program: Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.

But I've often wondered what you mean when you say, "Be well." How do you define well-being? What do you do to achieve it?

Steve C.
Wabash College

I love Mr. Keillor's response here:

You're a college guy and I'm an old writer, Steve, so we're looking at this from different angles. I'm more aware of decline and decrepitude than you possibly could be. I'm at the age when people tell me, "You're looking good" in that tone of voice that says "for a guy your age." For me, well-being has a lot to do with forward motion. I need to have deadlines, a list of projects, people who rely on me, some ambition on my back like an outboard motor. Good health is good, of course, and you don't want big black splotches showing up on the CAT scan, but my sense of well-being comes from waking up each day with work to do. It was different when I was in college: the work was imposed by teachers and so much of it seemed irrelevant, make-work, a lot of pointless exercises. What you hope for in life is a sense of a calling, a vocation, which simply means that one goes to one's work gratefully, not out of fear or habit but with a whole heart. It's the whole-heartedness that makes for well-being. Everyone has to live with a degree of doubt and restlessness, but there's nothing like enthusiasm, especially when you're 67. I have a plumber in my house right now, working to repair a pipe that broke when it froze and rebuild part of a jerry-rigged heating system, and it is so clear to me that this man loves his work. So does my internist. So do the women who care for my ancient mother. So do the musicians on the radio show and the writers of the Almanac. Thanks for your note.

Hopefully you are all finding that kind of wellness (as well as the physical kind) these days. Enjoy your week!

7 comments:

Kate said...

that is a really good letter my favorite part is the you are looking good. it's so funny. i hope you enjoyed your spring break!

Jeff said...

Kate, have you read The Sandy Bottom Orchestra? It's by Garrison Keillor, who wrote that piece. It's in my classroom, and it's a great book. It's definitely your kind of book!

Kate and Glen A. said...

i will read it. i told my dad about the coins we found in class today from different countries. he likes collecting money and was wondering if i could get the coins from germany and the other places for about 100 pennies (that i forgot to bring in) and he wants to throw in a Dave and Busters coin. he says its vauluable.

Jeff said...

Oh, sure, he can have them! I'm glad someone who can appreciate them will get them. I'm sure we'll find a few more odd coins in the next couple days.

Also, remind me about that book.

Jeff said...

Oh, and heck yeah, throw in that Dave and Buster's token! That IS really valuable! :)

Kate said...

ok. i will give that to you.

Jeff said...

Only kidding!