Tuesday, January 16, 2018

March

I had wanted to do a lesson on Friday about Martin Luther King, Jr., in particular about the march across the bridge in Selma, Alabama.

One of the best books--graphic novel or otherwise--that I read last year was a three-book graphic novel series called March. It's written by John Lewis, one of the protesters arrested in Selma  on Bloody Sunday back in 1965. For the past many years, he has been in the U.S. House of Representatives for the state of Georgia, continuing Martin Luther King's fight. It's a great book if you've never read it.

Until recently, supporting a book like this wouldn't have been considered a political statement, and that's definitely not what I'm trying to do here. I just wanted to take this moment--unfortunately after MLK Day as it turned out--that we should all allow for peaceful demonstrations no matter what the cause may be. We all need to be good to each other.

Happy Tuesday, everyone. More to come, I'm sure!

No comments: