Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Songs We've Sung

We all know that last week we lost two people who, while very famous, affected the lives of the many in ways that were quite profound. First we lost David Bowie, who everyone this side of my parents' generation knows so well as the great absurdist singer and songwriter who apparently bound more of us than anyone realized. And then, just a couple days later, we lost Alan Rickman, who so drably brought to life J.K. Rowling's most famous anti-hero Severus Snape in the Harry Potter movies.

One of my thoughts as I was driving on the day or two (or three) after the death of David Bowie was that I couldn't believe I had yet to make a Bowie song my class song for a school year. I imagine that will happen next year now, to be honest. He has way too many classics to go too long without being honored secretly every Friday afternoon by 5-1.

But then yesterday happened. Glenn Frey died.

Last year, my class sang the Eagles' Already Gone every Friday afternoon. I'm not sure how many of my students from last year will be able to connect the name "Glenn Frey" with "The Eagles", but for anyone who has, please pour out some chocolate milk for one of the men who brought this song--and so many others--to life.



Heaven knows it was you who set us free every Friday afternoon, Mr. Frey! Your songs will be remembered for many, many years to come.

2 comments:

tiffany said...

Very sad indeed! Thankfully we have the songs and movies to enjoy forever!

Jeff said...

Absolutely.