Friday, March 27, 2015

Days of Future Past

Well, I guess the good news for me is that I don't have to make any lesson plans for next week, because this week ended up being so busy (in almost all good ways) that I am able to just move leftover lessons intended for this week into next week. And I suppose this isn't a bad thing at all, considering it's going to take us right into Spring Break.

As I wrote today's date on the board this morning, I honestly wondered where March had gone. March 27th? Seriously? How did that happen?

A related thing that I realized this week--and this is going to sound nuts to you, but you really have no idea--is that every year at this time, I realize that this is just about when I have my class just how I want them. They know my expectations, how not to cross that line, they know when it's time to be serious and they know when it's okay to joke around. And the before I know it, they're all out my door and on their way to Clay.

If I could only teach my kids, I would honestly follow them all the way through to high school graduation. But that wouldn't be fair to them. They need to have teachers who pull them in in a way I don't, and they need to have teachers who they don't get along with. We all went through it, and they need to go through it also.

I don't mean to get all sentimental while we still have however many weeks of school left, but just know that because of your kids, I love going in to work each day just to see what's going to happen next. These are good people.

Today, we did our practice ISTEP test, which took up the brunt of our morning. This was only part one of three, and part two will be next Tuesday. (Part three won't be until April 22, so we have a little breathing room in there...) We met up with our first grade buddies for just a few minutes, we took a spelling test, we had a math quiz and played a math game. I read another day's worth of The Mysterious Four, which I keep trying to pretend is a good book. We also ended our day with our first "lyric-less" installment of "Already Gone". (And by the way, I may have found my song for next year yesterday on my way home from teaching karate...)

Another good Friday. I hope everybody has a great weekend.

No comments: