Wednesday, February 25, 2015

When Stories Overlap

Profoundest apologies for not posting sooner. I had somewhere to be right away after school, and despite my best efforts, I did not get around to posting during the day today.

The kids had Jump Rope for Heart today, and they came back suitably sweaty and foul-smelling. But when it comes down to it, Woodbrook raised more than $10,000 today, and as an ongoing heart patient who has benefited from the American Heart Association, I am grateful to all of their efforts as well as their sweat and odors, and more importantly, their efforts. Thanks to everyone who raised money for this very cool event.

We have started watching, bit by bit, a Ken Burns documentary about the voyage of Lewis and Clark. It's a PBS original, and it's an amazing film. It's also a long film, so we will take our time in watching it. It is kind of nice to have an automatic fill-in any time we have an extra ten or fifteen minutes. By the way, I am not one to just show a film to pass the time. I tend to talk out loud in the middle of it, pause it and give a talk, and you can be GUARANTEED the kids will be quizzed from time to time (unannounced, of course) on that day's content. I would hope they know me well enough to know I don't show videos to pass the time; I use them to intensify what we are learning in class already. This ties in directly to what we are learning in our current reading chapter.

We are also plodding our way through our current Social Studies chapter. I like to take my time when it comes to the American Revolution. I love this!

1 comment:

tiffany said...

Hi Mr. Carter,

What is the name of the Lewis & Clark film?

Thanks,
Tiffany