Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I Am a Breathing Time Machine

We played some catch-up today, which included a quick review on adjectives. Here are the three kinds I talked about today:
  • regular old run-of-the-mill adjectives (My fuzzy kitten purred on my lap. Jerry borrowed the red shirt from Joe. The soft-shell crab ran under a rock.)
  • possessive adjectives (That is my toaster! Could you please calm your monkey? They brought their dog with them.)
  • article adjectives (There is a cat in our yard. Look at the hot air balloon! I got knocked over by an elephant.)
Some of the kids had their Social Studies tests handed back to them yesterday and were asked to fix them up because they were answered without complete sentences. We learned today that just because a sentence has a capital letter on the front end and a punctuation on the back end, it does not make it a sentence. We reviewed that a little bit today as well.

Tomorrow I will give the kids their Social Studies take-home test. I told them to take their books home with them and take their time looking for the answers--no reason not to get an A on this one. Some of them may be finishing up their letters tonight. They wrote letters back to England from their colony here in America in the year 1740.

Lastly, for Math, I have decided that Everyday Math takes too long of a jump from just starting out with algebra problems and diving right into the ones that are multi-stepped and have a lot of negative numbers and fractions and stuff. I am going to go easier on them than this today for sure. We are going to learn a couple of basic algebra lessons today and I will send home some homework with them tonight.

Oh! And the Genius Files part five arrived today! To say it starts off crazy is a bit of an understatement. Talk about bizarre. The kids didn't want me to stop reading, though. We really love these books.

More to come.

1 comment:

lara said...

all those lucky kids get to read the genius files... i don't want to read them by myself i want to be back in fifth grade listening to you read them using your "special voices."