Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sometimes Life's Test Is Open Book

Today the kids will be bringing home another take-home test for Social Studies. I really like the idea behind the take-home test, because not only does it give the kids another chance to find the answers by re-reading the material, but they're re-reading the material without the intent to memorize it, which is a boon to their learning of the material. I actually had them vote on a take-home test tonight, or a closed-book test in class on Friday. I was surprised to have so many kids choose the take-home test tonight (in fact, it was pretty much unanimous).

Math class: Yes, I realize that last night's homework was a bit challenging. This is material we've been doing in class, but it takes meticulous steps nonetheless. Tonight's homework will be the study link that goes with lesson 9.5 instead of moving on to 9.6.*

*And now that it is well past Math class, I will let you know that the kids did seem much more comfortable with it and I felt good about sending those eight problems home for tomorrow. Repetition repetition repetition. It's good for you! (And yes, I know the time stamp indicates this was done during recess, but that's just when I started this post. The actual time right now is 3:43pm.)

No comments: