Tuesday, December 6, 2016

What To Do Before Your Brain Melts




This morning, another teacher, the parent of a high schooler, brought me a problem she was having with biology. She asked me if I could read it and make any sense of it. Unfortunately, I couldn't. I got a little bit lost with the GTCA genetic coding and the mRNA and the DNA (although I do still remember that DNA stands for deoxyribonucleic acid!)

Luckily, I knew where to look to make some sense of it. First, I told her to look here at Ask Rose, a.k.a. Homework Hotline. This is a free service in Indiana that has a toll-free number as well as email and online assistance for anyone in school in Indiana. The last I checked, they have resources for sixth grade through high school. That said, if your child is struggling with the Math for tomorrow's exam, I bet they would be able to help your kids out. Everyday Math tends to do things a little earlier than some other curriculum sources, so we are doing what is essentially sixth grade stuff.

The other place I told her was this: this is Khan Academy. This is one of the best things I have ever seen. Type in your confusion, and there are many many videos and resources at your disposal. I use it all the time when I am stuck with someone that I tutor.

So the next time your child is about to explode (or maybe you are), see what these resources can do for you.

No comments: