Thursday, December 1, 2016

One Of My Favorites


I was really happy today to have Mrs. Sally McDougal visit my classroom. Sally is a longtime teacher who worked at Clay Middle School for years and years. She retired from teaching for awhile, but then came back and now works in the alternative high school program.

Sally is another person whose path I've crossed in one way or another for years. I worked with her daughter for years at Camp Tecumseh, and then she was referred to me by a fellow soccer mom (I think that's how it went, anyway) when she was looking for a tutor for her son--the same one who came back from college last week to read to the class.

She is one of my favorite people, and just during my brief interaction with her today, I remembered how much the sound of her voice could lower my blood pressure. She is so easy-going and down to earth and calm that she could always talk me down when I was on career related crises.

She and her husband had me up to their lake house one summer (gosh, I don't even want to think about how long ago that was...) and it was one of the most relaxing days I think I've had in all those years.

It was fun for me to hear her interact with my students. In fact, since I started doing the guest readers this year, that is one of my favorite things about it. Just watching my worlds collide like that makes me smile out loud.

Thanks again, Mrs. McDougal! Feel free to come back any old time.

No comments: