Monday, April 27, 2015

Lady Killers


This is a picture of Catherine and Emma, two former students who are both kick-butt karate girls whom I've had the pleasure of teaching both in the classroom and coaching on the mat. They both had a really great weekend at the AAU Regionals in Chicago (or, to be specific, Grayslake, Illinois).

Both ladies made me an extra-proud sensei this year, and I have no doubt they will undoubtedly continue to do so as the years go on. As a coach, I regret only that I did not get the chance to sit in either girl's corners this year. I am happy to say, however, that Sensei Colin (another former 5-1 student!) was able to do so for at least a few of their fights. 

Let me say that both of these girls are small for their age, and neither is what I'd call "bulky" by any means. But I've watched both of them go through their black belt tests at this point, and I've also watched them compete at the state and regional levels. All I can say is that I can't wait for the time when some boy tells them that they can't do something because they're a girl. I really wish I could be a fly on the wall when that happens. And I'm really glad I'm not going to be the guy to say that!

No comments: