Sunday, October 14, 2012

These Things Happen All the Time

We took this picture on Friday just before recess. Unfortunately, we were missing a kid or two at that time, but that's our first class picture of the school year. And thanks especially to Nurse Angie for taking it for us.

I know that many of you are probably nervously awaiting me to update my grade book online, but I'm still waiting on some assignments and tests from some students who were absent last week. The flu and cold are going around like crazy, but it will have to be done soon. The gigantic pile of papers I just graded were really pretty good--so rest assured.

On another note, I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow (Monday) morning, and won't be there at school until 11:30. Not only will there be a guest teacher there, but also Miss Lauren will be there with the kids until 10:30, so all should go on as normal.

Now for some thank yous:
  • Thanks to Mrs. White for coming in on Thursday morning to give me a hand with some photocopies that needed to be made. That made my week much easier. Thank you!
  • Thanks to Bobby C who, on a trip to Vegas for his dad's birthday last weekend, brought me back my first pair of nail clippers (long story) of 2012-2013. They are as beautiful as a pair of nail clippers can be. 
  • Thank you to all of the parents who brought us teachers lunch on Friday. To realize that you don't have to eat the school's lunch as you're walking the kids down to the cafeteria...it's a wonderful thing. 
Coming up is not only the fifth grade musical (in early-to-mid November), but also the Veteran's Day Program. As I've told the kids, Mr. Akin assigned me the job of running the Veteran's Day program during my first year of teaching, and since then, it's been my class's job to put this on for not only the school, but also for all veterans who attend. This week, we will be writing and creating invitations to that program and distributing them to the rest of the school to take home. My class (Math class included) will be putting this program on, and more information to follow. The Veterans Day Program will be on Friday, November 9, at 9:00am.

And lastly, speaking of upcoming events, mark Wednesday, December 12 on your calendar. That is the day that the fifth grade will go to Biztown. Biztown is a very cool thing; ask your child about it. The reason I'm posting this here is that we need parent volunteers for that day.  For real. This isn't like SPICE, where it wasn't really necessary that parents went with us. Parents are needed, and trust me, this is a fun field trip. It's an all-day thing, so if you can dedicate a whole day, please plan on joining us for this trip.

Now, lastly, I'm going to give you a picture of my name in chewed-off pretzels, as chewed by the aforementioned Bobby C. After a week and weekend full of monumental failure by the Reds, the Colts, and last but not least, the Boilermakers, it's a nice treat to look through the pictures on your phone and find your name written in pretzels before turning in. Thanks, Bobby! This is one of the most interesting compliments I've ever received.



1 comment:

BetterThanYouBelcher said...

The photo made me blind I couldn't see for 8 years. I type my name as BetterThanYouBelcher or just Luke Belcher





-Luke Belcher