Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What I've Learned About Teaching from Doing Karate: Day 2

As an adult taking my black belt test, we were expected to do some independent research and read up on all things karate. One of the books I read in the months before my test was The Art of War by Sun Tzu. It's some interesting reading with all kinds of practical applications.

One of my favorite practical applications was the following passage:

"Whoever is first in the field and awaits the coming of the enemy will be fresh for the fight; whoever is second in the field and has to hasten the battle will arrive exhausted."

I like this one because it made me think about how I start my day. No, I do not see your children as my enemies with whom I am doing battle (although they may beg to differ every so often), but I feel so much better on days when I arrive early to school, even if all my plans are laid out and all the copies made. I can't stand being late for anything. When I am late, I am always a little panicked and not in the right head-space to effectively do what I need to be doing. Planning ahead works wonders, and so does being on time. When you have the opportunity to do both, it's awesome.

No comments: