Monday, December 11, 2017

Greater Than Less Than



Today we have been plugging away already at our research papers, and it's great to see so many of them making so much progress.

In Math, we talked inequalities. This is a pretty big concept, and it was a little slow-going at first. Honestly, I found myself having a hard time wrapping my brain around the wording on some of those problems that were in the Math Journal. I told the kids that, as a rule (for now), they should always put the variable first, i.e. t < 10 for "t is less than ten", instead of the reverse. We also talked about the difference between greater than and greater than or equal to. Again, this is some pretty hard stuff for ten and eleven year olds. I told them not to freak out if they don't have it quite yet. We're doing to spend some time with this concept.

Secondly, I am planning to hand out the rubrics today for a project for next week. It is a procedural (or "how-to") speech. I am going to tell the kids no slime-related projects, please. I would suggest they check out these sites if they are having a hard time coming up with something:

I'd like to see a lot more non-food projects than food projects, simply because I like to see them be a bit more creative with what they choose to do. 

Also, I am sending home the Social Studies take-home test tonight, and it is due back by next Monday

Hope you all have a great evening and a fantastic week. 

No comments: