Friday, November 3, 2017

Ragna-Rock-n-Roll

Today I was reminded of just why I love this class so much.

Lately, they have been testing the limits of my good humor, but I ended up rediscovering just why it's disappointing when they are talking in the middle of lessons, or don't get quiet when I ask the first time. The reason is because they are just wonderful kids. I'm really happy that I have to hang around with them every day.

We did a spelling test, a states and capitals quiz, we learned some stuff for BizTown, we did some reading comprehension stuff, and so on and so forth.

But the best part (and perhaps the most important) came at the end, while we were singing Starman by David Bowie. For maybe the first time this school year, I had more than just a couple kids get up during the instrumental solo and dance, I had everyone singing, and I actually had to ask the kids to get a little quieter during the song. I know it sounds nuts, but that's the best kind of feeling a teacher can have. Okay, it's the best kind of feeling a teacher like me can have, at least.

I had a student ask a really good question today while we were talking about BizTown today, too. The question was, "What is a good job that nobody thinks to interview for/put on their job application?" I loved that so much. I hope I loaded them down with enough choices, because BizTown has some real hidden gems, and I would much rather see my class go for those jobs than for the high-profile, flashy jobs that everybody tries to get.

And lastly today, I saw Thor Ragnarok. Sorry for the random nerd-aside, but it was awesome. When the strains of Immigrant Song started, my geek veins were overflowing with rock-n-roll, comic book awesomeness. Highly recommended to those who love awesome movies, action movies, or movies that pump you up for the rest of the week.

Okay, sorry about the geekery, but just know that it was the perfect way to end a day that didn't start off perfectly, but definitely ended that way.

No comments: