Thursday, June 29, 2017

The Stories Of Akira

If you haven't read this book, I want to recommend it. As much as I would like to report that I discovered it myself, it was recommended to me by Mr. Norris, 5-1 parent from this past school year. As I have told you, thanks so much for the recommendation.

The first part of what is so great about this book is that it is chopped up into very short chapters. Each chapter has a parable about working hard, earning what you want to receive, honesty, integrity, kindness, remaining positive, and so on and so forth.

This is the kind of book that I could read to the class (and trust me, I will) one chapter at a time and lead a discussion after each chapter. Told through the narrative of a sensei and his student, it is easy to read and easy to understand. It reads like a corporate motivation book (see Who Moved My Cheese? or 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People), but it is better, because this one applies to children every bit as much as it should to adults.

It's not everywhere yet; I had to search it down (and ended up with two!), but once it becomes more popular and widespread, it's definitely worth a read.

No comments: