Monday, June 19, 2017

The Fifth Quarter

Let me start by saying that I'm going to address the parents and adult readers of this blog here.

If you haven't watched the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary O.J. Made In America, do yourself a favor and watch it. In my opinion, it is one of the most important documentaries that has ever been made.

What was most eye-opening to me was not what I went into this documentary looking for. I was watching it partly as a nostalgia piece. 1994 is the year I was a sophomore in college. It was the year of Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding, the year Kurt Cobain died, and--of course--the year of O.J. It was that prime age where the music I listened to, the messages from my professors, what I read, and the media input was at its most potent. It was a year of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Live, Weezer, and Oasis.

What I got out of it, though, was a wonderful, horrible, honest profile on race in America. Things I hadn't even thought about came to light through this film. Things that are hundreds of years old came to light. It made sense suddenly, and I realized exactly why we still have a whole lot of work to do.

Normally, I don't pay any attention to the Oscars. However, when I found out that ESPN had won the best documentary feature for this miniseries, I said they got something right. I knew without reservation. It is one of the most important things to come out in the past year.

Do yourself a favor and watch it when you get a chance.

No comments: