Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Office Space

Today we had the honor of having Miss Grace's grandfather, Mr. David Fleming, return to Woodbrook after last Tuesday's Grandparents' Day to be our guest reader. He read an awesome book called Argus to the students this morning, and he did a much better job than I do with stopping and asking the kids what they think about it from page to page. I get so caught up with what's coming next that I often don't stop to smell the roses while I'm reading a book. It was a welcome change-up for the day.

He also told the students about an ancestor of his (and Grace's) who invented the gas pump in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He showed the lineage all the way from Grace back to her great-great-great-great grandfather. It was an awesome experience to have him come in as a "mystery reader" (my first one, actually) for the morning. Thanks, Mr. Fleming! The kids loved having you there today.

By the way, if any of you would be interested in being a mystery reader, let me know! Or even if you have a connection with someone who would be a good guest-reader, let me know that as well--we just might be able to set something up.

We have been working on our BizTown curriculum this week...




...and yes, that is Miles "pulling his hair out" in frustration in the last picture. Just wait until these kids get a taste of the real world on Friday! Luckily, I don't think any of them will have to deal with anything that is actually real, like this: 


Speaking of BizTown, word on the street is that, even at the eleventh hour, we still need a few more volunteers! And when I say that, I'm not talking about the "just stop in for an hour or two" kind, I'm talking about the kind who can come in for the whole day. If that is you or someone you can easily volunteer, let me know, and I can pass the word on to 5-1's own Mrs. Carlton.

Thanks! Hope everyone has had a good Tuesday. Looking forward to Friday, and in the meantime, in the in-between time, I will continue to prep your kiddos on the big simulation on Friday.

No comments: